I did a thing yesterday…Part 2

The only local store that carries the concussion-stopping helmet in stock is in Guelph. And what better way to get to Guelph than to cycle! Yesterday (Saturday) was a gloriously sunny day. It was a bit on the chilly side when I started out (around -2°C), but I was undeterred. If I plan on cycling through the Rockies, I can’t be a fair-weather cyclist anymore!

I was super excited. It was going to be my first long ride of the spring…and the first ride on my touring bike since the weather turned dark last fall. The first 45 minutes of the ride were absolutely spectacular. Traffic was quiet, the roads were clear of ice and crud, and the sun was warming my back as I wheeled east. And then the following inner dialogue took place:

  • Me: I’m going to have to stop at Maryhill and buy some nutrition.
  • Me: (pause) I wonder how I’m going to do that, since I don’t have my wallet with me.
  • Me: (long pause) Wait!!!!…I don’t have my wallet with Me?!

I pulled to the side of the road and pondered my options. I turned my bike around to head back home…but then took pause and called the bike shop to ask if they would accept an e-transfer. They would. So back up in the saddle I went and enjoyed the rest of the way to Guelph. Though I couldn’t stop in Maryhill to buy food.

The first thing I did when I got to the bike shop was grab a bunch of nutrition from the shelves and hungrily put it on the counter, much to the amusement of the shop owner.

I paid for the helmet and nutrition and headed back to Kitchener, which was an absolute slog. The headwinds were something else. And since this was my first long ride of the season, I’m not in very good ride-shape yet. My average speed to Guelph was respectable; my average speed back home was laughable.

I was fading fast when I hit the city limits of Kitchener. I slogged my way through the city to my apartment. When I was 500 meters from my building, I couldn’t coax my legs any further. 500 meters from home and I was done! So into a parking lot I pulled and stood there gobbling down whatever I had left by way of nutrition. Waited about 10 minutes and painfully pedalled the last few blocks to home.

After a cup of coffee and some sugary treats I felt like a million bucks, and had a huge stupid smile on my face for the rest of the day.

So that was the thing I did yesterday.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s